Wednesday, February 11, 2009

seriously? i mean, seriously?

this is our theme for the student life camp we are taking our youth to this summer...

im pretty excited about this, for our kids and my self as well. the culture we live in today teaches, more like screams at us that the world should revolve around us. the sad part is that as believers in Jesus Christ we are also believing these lies.

Jesus said,

"If anyone would come after me, let him deny himself and take up his cross daily and follow me."
Luke 9:23

"For even the Son of Man came not to be served but to serve, and to give his life as a ransom for many."
Mark 10:45

Jesus makes this point again and again, that as christians it is NEVER ABOUT US.


NEVER, NEVER, NEVER.



we are to be always putting others first.


but the world tells us something else. and we are inclined to listen to their messages.


i have spent a lot of time thinking, conversing and praying about this over the past few months. i am noticing that when i am upset about something or i think someone has wronged me or i was somehow not given justice that at the root of those frustrations there is a train of thought that i deserve better. there is the inclination that life is about me and this should just not have happened. plainly, that is a lie. mercy Lord please. let me not inherit what i deserve, without you i am a liar, adulterer, murderer and so much more. what i deserve is an eternity in hell without a second of relief.

PRAISE THE LORD that is not what i have waiting for me. that because of the precious blood of Jesus Christ, instead of what i deserve, an earthly lifetime of dreading death because i know all that waits for me is a lake of fire, i have a lifetime of hope awaiting the day i will be with my savior.


how can i know this and still think the way i do? why do i believe this and still act the way i do?


Lord, please remove in me every selfish thought. please retrain my heart, mind and soul to be as you were, a servant of others. please make it obvious to me when my thinking is in opposition to what you would have me think and the attitude you would have me walk in.

mercy, mercy, mercy i beg.

2 comments:

  1. true.

    i think your site url thingy is really funny by the way.

    you should come to austin with us. it's super-sweet.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What...you have a blog! I had no idea. It is our little corner of the web, don' ya think?

    Your humbleness and sincerity are inspiring. Praise the Lord, that his mercies are new each and every single day!

    Thank you for being so honest and vulnerable. You are a true delight!

    Look forward to seeing you soon...

    ReplyDelete